Friday 18 March 2011

where does the time go?

Two minutes ago it was January and now I turn around and find that we're half way through MArch.
So what's been going on here at RB&B? Well first of all i ran a workshop at a local highschool.
Which was huge fun - there will be photos eventually - and I'm currently working on mastering a new technique using a new tool - new to me that is not new to rugging.
It's called a shuttle needle or shuttle hook and really  speeds up the process of hooking.




The tools are quite expensive new (around £50.00 including p&p)  so I've had great fun tracking down vintage examples - often from the States - at a fraction of the new price.  I imagine lots of you have got them in old workboxes and have no idea what they're for -
until recently ... me neither!

The earliest one I've bought is from 1929. That one hadn't arrived yet but once it does I'll take some photos and do a rogues gallery
of vintage tools.

So new rugs then - done on a frame, shuttle hooking lends itself to work where there isn't too much detail - although this can be added by hooking it in afterwards.

This wild sea and little boat is my first proper attempt, it's based on a print by illustration, Cathy Hill. It measures around 54" x 28"
 I'm now making a second which is around the same size and
really enjoying it. these are photos of the work in progress:



The rug is made on hessian from old tee shirts.
All these images are of the front
(you work from the back)

So first of all I drew a picture on the hessian in chalk and when I was pleased with the design redrew it in indelible marker .



The design is then worked with narrow strips of fabric



No comments:

Post a Comment