Saturday 22 January 2011

Recycle and Drink Tea - that's Saturday then!

I've got some lovely workshops coming up next month, including house parties and one in a high school -  all of which is great news, but means that I've had to set too and start getting the fabric ready.

Everything I use, where possible, is recycled and comes from charity shops, friends and anyone who I can talk into letting me have their old clothes!

First of all it's sorted into colours, and fabrics types and then washed.  (yes , even the wool - which i use to make felt)

Then have I  have to wait for the moment when I want to spend two or three hours cutting off the buttons, taking out the zips, cutting out sleeves, removing seams, studs, logos and tassels (don't ask) and all kinds of nonsense, keeping the trimmings and buttons I think I might be able to reuse, so that eventually I have a pile of flat usable clean fabric.

Traditionally small children, friends and elderly relatives were pressed into helping with this and paid in cinder toffee but given the wide spread rise in dental bills, diets and legislation relating to child labour I usually end up doing it myself.




It's easier to do in the company radio 4, copious amounts of tea. good light and a natural enthusiasm for taking things to pieces. So with no further ado, I give you today's fabric stash....

No comments:

Post a Comment